Kiev Says More Than 50 Ukrainian Troops Killed, 300 Wounded Since Beginning of Ceasefire

More than 50 Ukrainian troops have been killed and 316 wounded since the beginning of the ceasefire in the conflict zone.

More than 50 Ukrainian troops have been killed and 316 wounded since the beginning of the ceasefire in the conflict zone.

 

MOSCOW, October 6 (RIA Novosti) – More than 50 Ukrainian troops have been killed and 316 wounded since the beginning of the ceasefire in the conflict zone, Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry said Monday.

“Since September 5, some 56 Ukrainian soldiers have been killed, 316 wounded. Additionally, 32 civilians were killed,” the ministry said on Twitter.

In April, Kiev authorities launched a military operation in southeastern Ukraine, where independence supporters refused to accept the new government which came to power as a result of the February coup.

On September 5, a ceasefire agreement was reached between Kiev authorities and the self-proclaimed people’s republics of Donetsk and Luhansk (DPR and LPR). The agreement was signed in the Belarusian capital, Minsk, at the meeting of the Contact Group on Ukraine, which comprised representatives from Russia, Ukraine and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE).

Both the Kiev forces and the independence fighters have been accusing each other of violating the ceasefire. On October 5, the Ukrainian National Security and Defense Council admitted that the ceasefire in Donbas had been violated, but said it had been done by uncontrolled military groups.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s