Ukrainians grow unwilling to serve in the army — media

1080416

© ITAR-TASS/Artyom Geodakyan

 TASS – RUSSIAN NEWS AGENCY

KIEV, January 27 /TASS/. Ukraine’s male population has massively started leaving abroad in search of jobs to dodge the current mobilization campaign.

“Entire villages are booking buses to dispatch their men as far as possible. Military committees are handing over the lists of fugitives to law enforcers and try to restrict the movement of men subject to conscription outside their native districts and areas,” the Vesti publication wrote on Tuesday.

Natalya from Zaporizhia (south-eastern Ukraine) dispatched her son to Russia several months ago. The woman told Vesti on condition of anonymity that she had also sent her husband away (also to Russia) a week before. Men from western regions are leaving for Poland and Hungary. The city military committee in Ukraine’s capital Kiev is also complaining about draft dodgers.

Human resource experts are noting growing interest in vacancies abroad. “Over the past three months more than 281 job seekers interested in employment abroad, including 176 last month, have posted their CVs on our website,” Tatyana Pashkina from the Rabota.ru portal said.

The authorities in the Kiev-controlled parts of the Lugansk region have recently forbidden men aged 18-60 to leave for militia-controlled territories and abroad without permission from local military committees.

Last Monday, the Belgorod-Dnestrovsky City Council /the Odessa region/ published a ban for reservists to leave the region’s territory.

The fourth round of mobilization in Ukraine kicked off on January 20. Another two are scheduled for April and June.

According to Ukrainian Defense Minister Stepan Poltorak, about 104,000 people may be mobilized in 2015.

Ukrainian army’s Chief of Staff Vladimir Talalay said that draft dodgers would face from 2 to 5 years in prison adding that women aged 25-50 could also be drafted into the army if necessary.

Russia may help Ukrainians avoid army service

Meanwhile, Russian President Vladimir Putin said last Monday that Russia might extend the period of sojourn in Russian territory for Ukrainians of conscription age who could be drafted into the Ukraine army.

“Many people, by the way, do not want to be mobilized. They are trying to move to Russia and lie low for some time. And they are absolutely right because they are simply being sent under bullets like cannon fodder,” Putin said at a meeting with the students of the “Gornyi” University of Mineral Resources on January 26.

At the same time, the president said Ukrainian nationals could not stay in Russia longer than for a period established by the law.

“Under a new law, Ukrainian citizens cannot stay in Russia for more than 30 days. After that they have to return to Ukraine where they are being caught and sent under the bullets again. That is why I think that we are going to change something in that law,” Putin said adding the sojourn of some categories of people, especially those of conscription age, could be extended within legal framework.

In the meantime, Delegations of Donetsk and Luhansk republics leave Minsk after Ukraine talks fail. The Contact Group for Ukraine was supposed to have met in Minsk on Friday but Ukraine’s representative at the talks didn’t come.

Vladislav Deinego and Denis Pushilin talk to reporters

Vladislav Deinego and Denis Pushilin talk to reporters

© Viktor Drachyov/TASS

Denis Pushilin criticized Kiev’s “incoherent position” on the next round of the Minsk talks.

“The date was set for today but Kiev’s hesitation and uncertainty whether they are going to go [to Minsk] or not is making the situation maximum inconvenient for all the sides,” Pushilin stressed. “We have met our commitments. We have arrived in Minsk while Kiev is still hesitating,” Pushilin said.

Poroshenko and Merkel called for “the dialogue in the ‘Normandy format’ to be continued,” along with “withdrawal of heavy weapons and troops and in compliance with the disengagement line.”

Along with that, Poroshenko and Merkel agreed to hold a bilateral meeting in Munich on February 6-8 with the aim to coordinate further steps.

The spokesman for the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said a document including key provisions on a ceasefire and weaponry pullback is being worked out for the Contact Group meeting due to be held on Saturday, January 31.

Kiev does not put brake on anything, Alexey Makeyev said.

“Contents and concrete agreements are crucial,” he said. “It is also crucial that all those who put their signatures under the documents and all those who can shoulder the responsibility would attend the meetings.”

“Tomorrow’s talks are likely to be focusing on the final document prescribing how implementation of the Minsk accords could be put back on track,” he said. “Everyone is engaged in readying the document and I am very hopeful that this meeting may take place in Minsk on Saturday.”

End of article ————

[In my opinion, Poroshenko is just buying time. He’s obsessed with killing his own people. He will break any ceasefire. He’s not all there.]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s