The Rolling Stones show support for Mick Jagger following death of L’Wren Scott

Getty Picture

Getty Picture

Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts release statement after apparent suicide of frontman’s girlfriend on Monday (March 17)

Mick Jagger’s bandmates in The Rolling Stones have shown their support for the frontman following the death of his partner L’Wren Scott earlier this week.

Keith Richards express his shock at the news of Scott’s apparent suicide of Jagger’s partner on Monday (Match 17), in a statement given to Billboard.”No-one saw this coming,” said guitarist Richards. “Mick’s always been my soul brother and we love him… we’re thick as thieves and we’re all feeling for the man.”

“This is such terrible news and right now the important thing is that we are all pulling together to offer Mick our support and help him through this sad time,” adds Ronnie Wood. “Without a doubt we intend to be back out on that stage as soon as we can.

“Meanwhile, drummer Charlie Watts echoes the need to be there for his friend. “Needless to say we are all completely shocked but our first thought is to support Mick at this awful time,” he said.The Rolling Stones postponed the rest of their 14 On Fire tour of Australia and New Zealand following the death of Scott. The band plan to reschedule the dates.

A list of the dates affected by the postponement can be found here. Promoters urge fans with tickets to hold on to their tickets for the rescheduled shows.Jagger released his own statement following the news of Scott’s death in which said he was “struggling” to understand what had happened and that he had been “touched” by tributes and messages of support he has received.

Dear Mick: May memories console you and bring you strength in the days to come.

Unruly Hearts NYC

Mick Jagger says he is ‘struggling’ to understand L’Wren Scott’s death

Mick Jagger and L'Wren Scott at a Vanity Fair party in 2006. Photograph: Startraks Photo/Rex

Mick Jagger and L’Wren Scott at a Vanity Fair party in 2006. Photograph: Startraks Photo/Rex

Mick Jagger has issued a statement following the death of his partner, the US fashion designer L’Wren Scott yesterday (March 17) in Chelsea, Manhattan.The Rolling Stones frontman said he was “struggling” to understand the news and that he had been “touched” by tributes and messages of support he has received.Scott was found by her assistant yesterday in her flat in New York in an apparent suicide.

Writing on his Facebook page, a statement from Mick Jagger reads: “I am still struggling to understand how my lover and best friend could end her life in this tragic way. We spent many wonderful years together and had made a great life for ourselves.”He added: “She had great presence and her talent was much admired, not least by me. I have been touched by the tributes that people have paid to her, and also the personal messages of support that I have received. I will never forget her, Mick.”The singer began dating Scott in 2001.

This morning, it was announced that The Rolling Stones have cancelled the first date of their Australian tour after the tragedy. The band were due to play Perth tomorrow night (March 19) but fans have been asked to keep hold of their tickets until further information is available.

Scott was found dead by her assistant 90 minutes after sending her a text message asking her to come to her Manhattan apartment. Police said there was no sign of foul play and no note was found.

Tributes to the designer flooded in from the fashion and entertainment world, with Madonna stating: “This is a horrible and tragic loss. I’m so upset. I loved L’Wren’s work and she was always so generous with me.”

Scott’s London-based business, LS Fashion Ltd., was deep in debt, with an October balance sheet revealing it was $5.9 million in the red for 2012 after recording a $4.2 million deficit for 2011.

Scott’s suicide also followed the last-minute cancellation of her London Fashion Week show last month, with WWD reporting that she had blamed “production delays in key show and couture pieces.”

But a fashion-industry source said the real reason the show was scrapped was that “L’Wren’s business just crashed.”

Scott’s condo is owned by a holding company called “Scottland Management” — which paid $5.6 million in cash for the three-bedroom unit in 2010.

20 Feet From Stardom: 2014′s Music Documentary Oscar Hope

20-feet-from-stardom-770

Can the world’s most soulful backline repeat Searching For Sugar Man’s golden statue win?

20 FEET FROM STARDOM, Morgan Neville’s documentary charting the lives of some of music’s greatest background singers, picked up an Oscar nomination earlier today. Its makers are hoping to recreate the success of last year’s Best Doc winner, the uplifting Rodriguez film Searching For Sugar Man.

Like …Sugar Man, 20 Feet From Stardom isn’t short of crossover potential, having already taken $5 million at the US Box Office. Its cast of singers wear their hearts on their sleeves and prove that music’s real stars aren’t always those standing at the front.

20 Feet From Stardom – Oscar nominated, out in the UK on March 28.

20 Feet From Stardom – Oscar nominated, out in the UK on March 28.

The women behind the powerhouse voices include Darlene Love (the often-uncredited star of Phil Spector’s ’60s productions), Merry Clayton (that gut-wrenching vocal on the Stones’ Gimme Shelter? That’s her), Lisa Fischer (the Stones’ lead backing singer since 1989 and the person responsible for this mind-blowing vocal), Judith Hill (booked to sing with Michael Jackson at hisz ill-fated O2 comeback shows and now singing with Stevie Wonder), Tata Vega (touring with Elton John and the voice behind the soundtrack for The Color Purple) and Claudia Lennear (Ikette, member of Joe Cocker’s legendary Mad Dogs And Englishman band and one-time Jagger squeeze).

Their stories – each peppered with heady successes, plummeting failures and some serious hard graft – are bonded by a simple desire to serve the music, to stay out of the spotlight and to maintain concentration on what they describe as “the blend”.

Whether 20 Feet From Stardom can follow the success of …Sugar Man will be decided at the Oscars ceremony on March 2. UK readers will be able to catch it when it’s released on March 28. Until then, check out the trailer below.

Ross Bennett, January 16, 2014