Soldier shot near Canadian parliament, multiple shots inside reported

 

This October 22, 2014 photo shows police and medical personell moving a wounded person into an ambulance at the scene of a shooting at the National War Memorial in Ottawa, Canada. (AFP Photo/Michel Comte)

This October 22, 2014 photo shows police and medical personell moving a wounded person into an ambulance at the scene of a shooting at the National War Memorial in Ottawa, Canada. (AFP Photo/Michel Comte)

RT news

Published time: October 22, 2014 

This October 22, 2014 photo shows police and medical personell moving a wounded person into an ambulance at the scene of a shooting at the National War Memorial in Ottawa, Canada. (AFP Photo/Michel Comte)

“So I’m locked down in Center Block on Parliament Hill after at least one shooter burst in and opened fire,” local reporter Josh Wingrove stated. “I heard dozens of gunshots and the smell of gunpowder is heavy in the hallways right now.”

Wingrove also reported seeing a motionless body inside the parliament building, which he could not confirm to be either dead or alive.

Some 30 shots were fired inside the building, an eyewitness told Reuters. The gunman was subsequently chased by police into the center block of the building.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper managed to exit the building safely.

Associated Press Television News journalist Jorge Barrera reported that police are in possession of a photograph of the gunman, who reportedly has dark skin and long black hair. Barrera also tweeted that police have the suspect’s cellphone.
The incident comes a day after another soldier from Canada died in a road accident suspected to have been caused by an Islamic militant. He was one of two soldiers involved in the incident which was the first of its kind in Canada since it joined the fight against the Islamic State.

A Surete du Quebec (SQ) officer investigates an overturned vehicle in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec October 20, 2014.(Reuters / Christinne Muschi)

A Surete du Quebec (SQ) officer investigates an overturned vehicle in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec October 20, 2014.(Reuters / Christinne Muschi)

A soldier from Canada has been killed after a road accident suspected to have been caused by an Islamic militant. He was one of two soldiers involved in the attack which is the first of its kind in Canada since it joined the fight against IS.

The identity of the soldier who died on Tuesday has not yet been released, a police spokesman told Reuters. The 25-year-old driver, however, was identified by Canadian media as Martin Couture-Rouleau who was a Quebec resident.
The anonymous soldier had been walking near a Quebec shopping center when he was mowed down in an attack, following a car chase, which police officials say was deliberate. The incident took place in the town of Saint-Jean-sue-Richelieu on Monday. Rouleau was shot dead by police shortly after the attack.

His Facebook page, under the name Ahmad Rouleau, displays some anti-Christian and pro-Islamic posts.

Unnamed sources told local La Presse and Journal de Montreal, that Rouleau’s passport had been confiscated earlier in the year, while a neighbor, speaking to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said he became radicalized approximately a year ago.

A Surete du Quebec (SQ) officer investigates the scene of a police shooting in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec October 20, 2014.(Reuters / Christinne Muschi)

A Surete du Quebec (SQ) officer investigates the scene of a police shooting in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec October 20, 2014.(Reuters / Christinne Muschi)

He was apparently known to authorities, according to Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s office. Harper told reporters on Tuesday that the attack had been “clearly linked to terrorist ideology”.

Canada has frequently expressed concern over the potential for young men to become radicalized and has already committed itself to sending six fighter jets to participate in the anti-IS campaign in Iraq. It made the commitment on October 7.

The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) stated on Monday that there was concern over how the IS social media campaign contributed to radicalization.

Jeff Yaworski, deputy director of operations at the spy agency said on Monday that the IS “message and successful social media strategy could inspire radicalized individuals to undertake attacks here in Canada.”

He added that there are some 50 people who are actively involved with IS in Canada. However, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) has been monitoring roughly 90 individuals who have been intending to go abroad.

 

China ‘close to buying $4 bln worth’ of Russian top interceptors

Sukhoi Su-35 fighter (image from http://nikultsev.livejournal.com/)

Sukhoi Su-35 fighter (image from http://nikultsev.livejournal.com/)

Russia and China are close to signing a US$4 billion arms contract, according to a media report. Beijing wants to purchase 48 Sukhoi Su-35 super-maneuverable multi-role interceptors, which are among most advanced Russian combat aircraft.

Most of the terms of the prospective contract, which may become the biggest arms deal between Russia and China in a decade, are already agreed upon, reports Kommersant daily citing sources close to the talks. The price for the jets will be around $85 million apiece, but may yet change.

China’s interest in Su-35s was first hinted in 2008 during the Air Show China exhibition. Insider information that talks on such a deal may start surfaced in 2010, but only in February 2011 was it confirmed officially. Back then Aleksandr Fomin, deputy director for the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation said the offer to buy the aircraft was put on table in 2011.

Kommersant says the biggest obstacle to sealing the deal now is Russia’s insistence on a legal guarantee that China would not try to reverse-engineer the technology used in the aircraft. China already did this with Su-27, Su-30 and Mig-29, making them into domestic analogues called J-10, J-11 and FC-1 respectively. They also used a test version of Su-33 obtained through Ukraine to create their J-15 jet. The latest such incident is the copycatting of Su-30MK2 into the J-16 aircraft, the newspaper says.

The Sukhoi Su-35 is a 4++ generation long-range interceptor jet. It has maximum speed of 2,390 km/h and range of 3,400 kilometers. It is armed with 30mm cannon and has 12 wing and fuselage stations for up to 8,000 kg of ordinance, including air-to-air missiles, air-to-surface missiles, rockets, and bombs.

China’s imports of Russian arms have been decreasing over the years, as the country developed its own defense industry. Moscow is concerned that Beijing could soon become a major competitor in the traditional markets like Middle East and Latin America.

Chinese copies of the Russian aircraft may be technically inferior, but are sold several times cheaper than the originals. For instance, in a 2009 tender from Myanmar, Russia offered Mig-29s for $35 million apiece, while China offered FC-1s at $10 million. The contract however went to Russia, but the trend cannot but worry Moscow.

You give love a bad name, bad name…

Poroshenko to US Congress: "Ukraine like Israel have a right to defend itself..."

Petro Poroshenko to US Congress: “Ukraine like Israel has a right to defend itself…”

 

RT news

Published time: September 22, 2014 11:29

 

Ukraine President Petro Poroshenko addresses a joint meeting of Congress in the U.S. Capitol in Washington, September 18, 2014. (Reuters/Kevin Lamarque)

Moscow is bewildered by Washington’s warmongering rhetoric, which accompanied President Petro Poroshenko’s visit to the US. Russia has also noted all the Russia-unfriendly opinions voiced recently by hawkish American politicians.

“We’ll keep in mind all signals, including those unfriendly towards Russia, that were heard during the visit of the Ukrainian president to Washington,” commented Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov. “We do regret that there are quite influential circles [within the American establishment] that are unambiguously working against the emerging stabilization [in Ukraine],” Ryabkov said.

In short, US senators urged to supply Ukraine with arms to fight against Russia and President Putin.

Senator Robert Mendez, a Democrat who runs the Foreign Relations Committee told CNN, “We should provide the Ukrainians with the type of defensive weapons that will impose a cost upon Putin for further aggression.

“This is no longer the question of some rebel separatists. This is a direct invasion by Russia. We must recognize it as that,” he said.

In turn, Senator John McCain told CBS’s Face the Nation that President Putin was “an old KGB colonel that wants to restore the Russian Empire.”

The chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, Senator Mike Rogers, told Fox News, “If we don’t provide ‘small and effective’ now, you’re going to get ‘very big and very ugly’ later.”

The Russian politician pointed out that peaceful initiatives agreed upon in Minsk by the Contact Group on Ukraine are at odds with statements made during President Poroshenko’s visit to the US.

“It strengthens us in the opinion that the so-called party of war is strong not only in Kiev,” Ryabkov said, adding that some high-ranking American officials and politicians are willfully ignoring any positive outlook for resolving the crisis in Ukraine.

“They are hypocritically advocating normalization of the situation, while actually impeding this process,” Ryabkov said.

‘We’ve got everything we need’ – Poroshenko

In interviews to national US TV channels, President Poroshenko said the American president had verbally confirmed that Ukraine now enjoys the “uppermost status” among US military partner states, which are not NATO members.
Poroshenko said that the non-lethal supplies promised by the US and other states are sufficient and would help to restore the Ukrainian army to battle-ready status.

“We will receive and have already received everything we need: surveillance, radar, and supervisory and other defensive equipment that will increase the effectiveness of our weapons and help modernize them,” Poroshenko said, adding that non-lethal equipment will come “not only from the US.”

Earlier this year Ukraine received, from various sources, body armor, helmets, army rations, radio sets, uniforms, barbed wire and other supplies.

President Poroshenko officially confirmed the Ukrainian army’s heavy losses in its military operations in the east of the country. He added that up to 65 percent of hardware in the field had been either lost or destroyed in battle, a situation the president said was changing.

Destroyed Ukrainian military equipment in the village of Novoyekaterinovka near Komsomolsk. (RIA Novosti/Gennady Dubovoy)

Destroyed Ukrainian military equipment in the village of Novoyekaterinovka near Komsomolsk. (RIA Novosti/Gennady Dubovoy)

The troops are receiving more military hardware on a daily basis, while non-lethal equipment is arriving from abroad; Ukraine has enough lethal weapons in stock.

“We haven’t received machine-guns (from abroad) because we have them, as well as tanks, multiple rocket launchers, missiles, artillery and that helps us to hold the frontline,” Ukraine’s president said.

President Barack Obama declined to supply Ukraine with “lethal aid” despite the passionate plea for more military equipment made by Poroshenko in the US Congress. Ukraine was also not granted special security and defense status, which is the highest level of US interaction with a non-NATO ally.

Although President Poroshenko elicited applause from the US Congress, the financial help proposed by Washington is on the slender side: Ukraine will get $1 billion in ‘Financial Guarantees’ from the US and a general military aid package worth $53 million, RIA reported.

Also, the US Senate introduced a bill authorizing the Obama administration to supply $350 million worth of sophisticated weapons technology to Kiev in the fiscal year of 2015.

The Ukrainian president was bullish when he returned home, maintaining to the nation that his visit overseas had been a complete success.

Poroshenko stated he had reached a deal with President Obama whereby Washington would more actively participate in the contact between Ukraine and Russia, particularly with President Vladimir Putin. Without this contact with the Russian authorities “there wouldn’t be the ceasefire we currently have,” he said.

June 6, 2014. President Vladimir Putin (left) and Ukrainian President-Elect Petro Poroshenko (RIA Novosti/Sergey Guneev)

June 6, 2014. President Vladimir Putin (left) and Ukrainian President-Elect Petro Poroshenko (RIA Novosti/Sergey Guneev)

At the same time, Putin’s spokesperson Dmitry Peskov specifically stressed that although the Russian president did exchange opinions on measures to achieve peace in Ukraine, Putin could not negotiate any ceasefire agreement in the neighboring country.

“Russia physically cannot negotiate a ceasefire agreement because it is not a part of the conflict (in Ukraine),” Peskov said in early September.

The Ukrainian president rejected the idea that the rebellious Donetsk and Lugansk regions could get special status within the country, saying that “no territory in Ukraine would have an influence on the country’s international or domestic policies, or be able to pose a threat to country’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.”

President Poroshenko firmly advocates a multilateral approach to settling the crisis in Ukraine and intends to engage more parties to negotiate the problem on an international level.

“This conflict should not appear to be solely a Ukrainian problem. We’re going to engage the whole world in this process,” he said.