Amnesty International: “Damning evidence” US may be complicit in Yemen war crimes

clusterbombyemen1

US-made BLU-97 submunitions used by Saudi Arabia-led coallition in Saada, Yemen, on May 23 2015 clusterbombyemen1

 

Damning evidence of war crimes by the Saudi Arabia-led coalition, which is armed by states including the USA, highlights the urgent need for independent, effective investigation of violations in Yemen and for the suspension of transfers of certain arms, said Amnesty International in a new report published today.

‘Bombs fall from the sky day and night’: Civilians under fire in northern Yemen examines 13 deadly airstrikes by the coalition in Sa’da, north-eastern Yemen, which killed some 100 civilians, including 59 children. It also documents the use of internationally banned cluster bombs.

“This report uncovers yet more evidence of unlawful airstrikes carried out by the Saudi Arabia-led coalition, some of which amount to war crimes. It demonstrates in harrowing detail how crucial it is to stop arms being used to commit serious violations of this kind,” said Donatella Rovera, Amnesty International’s Senior Crisis Response Adviser who headed the organization’s fact-finding mission to Yemen.

“The USA and other states exporting weapons to any of the parties to the Yemen conflict have a responsibility to ensure that the arms transfers they authorize are not facilitating serious violations of international humanitarian law.”

Amnesty International is calling for a suspension of transfers to members of the Saudi Arabia-led coalition, that are participating in the military campaign, of weapons and munitions which have been used to commit violations of international humanitarian law, including war crimes in Yemen: in particular, bombs from the MK (MARK) 80 series and other general purpose bombs, fighter jets, combat helicopters and their associated parts and components. […]

Read in full Yemen: Call for suspension of arms transfers to coalition and accountability for war crimes at Amnesty International

Fault Lines – Life after Guantanamo (Documentary TV)

 

President Obama has not made good on his promise to close Guantanamo Bay prison, which he made via an executive order he signed on his first full day in office. Since then, the U.S. Congress has raised the political price of transferring detainees—even those held without charges and already cleared for release.

In 2013, some of the detained men were on hunger strike as their loved ones continued their fight for a life after Guantanamo. Several others who were formerly detained now live in Yemen. Have they been tempted to “return to the battlefield” as Congress warns? Did years of detention, isolation and torture make them want to seek revenge against the United States? And how are they rebuilding their lives?

Fault Lines travels to Yemen to explore the consequences of the U.S. policy of indefinite detention.


Credits:

Executive Producer: Mathieu Skene, Correspondent: Wab Kinew @wabkinew, Producer: Andrea Schmidt @whatescapes, Producer (Yemen): Nasser Arrabyee @narrabyee,Director of Photography: Saeed Taji Farouky @saeedtaji (Yemen), Singeli Agnew @singeli (DC), Thierry Humeau @telecamfilms, Joel Van Haren @joelvanharen, Editor: Adrienne Haspel @adihaspel, Associate Producers: Abdulai Bah @africandobah, Nicole Salazar @nicolesalazar, Translation: Rabyaah Althaibani @Rabyaah, Omar Duwaji @mideasternist, Research & Production Assistance: Omar Duwaji @mideasternist, Ana Giraldo Wingler @awanderingorill, Jonathan Klett @jonathanklett, Mark Scialla @markscialla
Special Thanks to David Remes (@remesdh) who appeared in the film.

 

 

 

Published on Aug 7, 2014

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/Documentary.TVI
For more documentary video’s : http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2y7f…

 

Never charged with the crime, Mohammed Odani spent almost nine years in prison. He is the last detainee from Guantanamo Bay Prison to have returned home to live in Yemen.
In this episode, Fault Lines travelled to Yemen to ask what the consequences of America’s policy of indefinite detention have been and to find out what life is like there, after Guantanamo.
Mohammed was studying in Pakistan when the aftershocks of September 11th began reverberating around the world. One night in the spring of 2002, he was visiting a student house when Pakistani authorities raided it.
He was arrested, along with more than a dozen others. Two months later, the Pakistanis turned Mohammed over to American forces.
Farouque Ali Akmed had also travelled abroad to teach Koran. Farouque spent eight years at Guantanamo. Like Mohammed, he denies having been involved in attacks on US targets or terrorism of any kind.
Though they labeled him in enemy combatant and said he was associated with Al-Qaeda, the United States never charged him with anything either. As bad as the physical torture was, they say it was nothing compared to torment of being wrongly imprisoned.